Thursday, September 01, 2005

The Caterpillar on the Leaf

If Kerala is truly - God's own country, then he/she most certainly is - The God of Small Things.


Here is a small selection from an amazing collection of pictures, shot by my friend (Ashok Srinivasan) during his recent trip to Kerala. (And in the spirit of, Yaam Petra Inbam Peruga Ivaiyagam - he lets me share them here with you all). To enjoy these better, click on them, to get a higher resolution image.


The main reason these pictures captivate me, is the style in which they are shot, that make them look so much like portraits. Unlike most others where they are made to look like specimens under observation.

Just check the picture below. This is the first time I have seen a bug pose for a profile shot, and very slyly making sure the photographer is doing a good job. I strongly suggest you see the higher resolution for this one, to actually see the dragonfly looking right at you!



Or, this guy who seems to suffer from serious stagefright.


I have been lucky enough to experience a lot of things Kerala has to offer, Kathakali and a Sadya, the beauty of the beaches and the backwaters, the country sides and the pristine temples ( Veena has this interesting piece on architecture. Which has a bit about the temples I am thinking of here. )

Unfortunately, with all these big flashy things competing for my attention, I must admit to having ignored the bugs. But honestly, they were just not big enough to grab my attention. (Unless it was a bee or a wasp chasing me.)



Looking at the next one for the first time. For a second, I was not sure if the bug was encased in a dew drop?!



Wish my eyes would let me zoom in and see these intricate little creatures. And more importantly, wish I have the patience...

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
...
The Caterpillar on the Leaf
...
( Auguries of Innocence by William Blake)

No comments: