Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Preparing for a Wedding

The bride, is getting married (surprise! surprise!) in december.

Check out her blog for all the gory details that go behind an exciting Indian wedding. This is a great reason for me to make a trip to India. I am all excited about this wedding too =)

As it has been ages since I have shopped for any proper indian clothing, looks like it is going to be some work on my part, to appear presentable at a wedding. After going through a bunch of different options, (meaning googling 'Indian wedding clothes/saris/lehengas' etc) which were disappointing. Finally decided to take the simpler route - Indian movies - how could one go wrong, when every movie has atleast one wedding in it. After a fair amount of hunting, I had narrowed down on Bipasha Basu. (have to confess, that I had not seen her in a single motion picture before I had selected her... then did see her in a trailer and dropped her).

After roaming around heartbroken for a couple of days. I have found a new person to emulate. Nandita Das (thx! to MeIT for this pic). So now actively looking for images and info that will help me look/ and hopefully act like her for the wedding. Any help is appreciated!

UPDATE(07/07/2005): I have just realized how fickle-minded I am, as far as fashion goes. =) Having made nearly no progress since I posted the above, either with finding more images or info on Nandita Das. Had started to give up hope.


Then saw this beautiful film called Paheli. A beautifully shot fairytale (based on Duvidha, a short story by Vijaydan Detha). And was struck by the awesome ethnic jewellery and not to mention all the wonderful colors. So, it is Rani Mukherjee from Paheli.


UPDATE(01/01/2006): So the wedding is done. And here is what I wore :)

2 comments:

Mel T. said...

What part of "Nandita Das" were you trying to emulate? You do know that she is not into glam or publicity. Especially for her wedding. Very modest.

The Black Mamba said...

I was actually, looking for what I would think of, as a Traditional Indian Beauty. I think it does not need to be glam,(though it could be). And I always love the way nandita das can look oh so pretty, and yet so comfortable.